February 13, 2008

Lab 2: The New York Football Giants




This week's assignment was to create a Flash map of the country depicting all of the games of the New York Giants or the New England Patriots for the 2007-08 NFL season. As an Eagles fan, I chose to do the Giants because that would allow the Eagles' logo to appear twice instead of only once for the Patriots (though, sadly, the Eagles lost to the Giants both times.)

Had I remembered when I started that the Giants played a game at Wembeley Stadium in London, UK this season, I might have gone with the Patriots, instead.

In any case, I quickly decided that I'd put each opponent's logo in the correct location of the game geographically and include some text with information about the game. To show the Giants playing at Miami in London, I downloaded a shapefile of the shape of the UK off the internet, loaded it in ArcMap, changed its projection to UTM to make the nation less squishy, and exported it to Encapsulated PostScript format, which Flash was able to read without a problem. After that, it was just a bunch of work but never too difficult.

1 comment:

Krystal said...

Tim,
I am in your class and was wondering how you put your Flash Map into your blog. If you have the time to reply, would you please reply to my blog. I have a post for this exercise with a static picture...you could leave a comment there. Thanks for any help you can provide! Also, nice job on your map...I am sure London was a challenge!
-Krystal Workman